Grilled Cheese with Smoked Salmon
June 6 2020·
June 6 2020·
- red onion
- pinch of sugar
- lime juice
- cooking oil
- cream cheese - take out of the fridge early or warm slightly in the microwave to soften
- lemon juice
- smoked salmon slices
- light rye bread
- Create your pickled red onions first. Slice the onion as thin as you can and soak it in lime juice with a pinch of sugar until it turns bright pink and soft.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain the capers, then fry them in some hot oil (canola is good for high heat) until they turn a deep green (approx. 5 mins). Allow to cool slightly.
- Fold the fried capers into the softened cream cheese.
- Slice the avocado and squeeze fresh lemon juice on it to keep it from turning brown
- Butter 2 slices of rye bread on one side and lay the buttered sides down in an oven-proof frying pan (we love cast iron for this). Spread on the cream cheese and avocado onto one slice, and leave it open-faced beside the other slice of bread. Place the pan in the oven until the cream cheese is warm.
- Place frying pan on the stove at medium-low heat and add the desired amount of salmon on top of the cream cheese, then close up the sandwich and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with the pickled onions and a freshly-tossed green salad.