Smoked Salmon and Rice Breakfast Bowl
November 13 2020·
November 13 2020·
Preparation Time: Approximately 1 hour
Servings: Makes 2 bowls
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 250 g smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cook the rice: Bring rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest, with the lid still on, for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Cook the potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread across baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing them half way through.
- Cook the eggs: Add 4 cups of water to medium-sized, deep-sided saucepan. Bring water to a rolling boil and gently lower the eggs into the pot. Lower heat to a simmer and cook eggs for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs and rinse under cold water for a minute to shock them. Carefully crack and peel the eggs. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of butter. Swirl the pan to ensure the melted butter coats the bottom. Add sliced mushrooms in a single layer, trying not to crowd them. Season with of salt and cook for 3 minutes, until browned and then give them a quick stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl. Return pan to heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add spinach leaves, lower heat to a simmer and cook until leaves have wilted. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside until other ingredients are ready.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and smoked paprika until combined. Season with salt, to taste.
- To assemble the dish, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce on the bottom of two bowls. Distribute 1/4 cup brown rice into each. Top each with mushrooms, spinach, roasted potatoes, and 4 oz. smoked salmon. Place the eggs in a bowl and, using a sharp knife, cut them in half, lengthwise. Garnish with chopped parsley, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.